Are you thinking..?
- "I employ many people, they depend on me to pay their bills and care for their families. That can be a huge responsibility at times and I cannot talk to them when things are difficult, they wouldn't understand."
- "The hardest part about growing my business wasn’t getting started or attracting customers or fixing the things that went wrong, but overcoming the loneliness of the entire process."
- "People don’t often talk about how isolated you can feel as an owner. Often I’d wished there was someone I could confide in but in reality the only person I could turn to for inspiration or comfort was the person staring back at me in the mirror."
Being an owner operator is one of the toughest jobs. You’re required to make difficult choices daily, meet customer demands and manage your staff. You’re also risking your own money and making huge personal sacrifices. No one quite gets how hard it can be or that you never really switch off. Despite being around people all day, you often feel isolated and alone.
Everyone you deal with seems to want something from you; there is no one you feel you can really trust or confide in and so you continue to go it alone. If left unchecked, this sense of isolation can have a negative impact on your performance and ultimately how your business prospers.
‘Loneliness of command’ is not a new concept; it’s real and is experienced by many. But it is something you can change.
What you can do
- Admit you don’t have all the answers and you can’t do everything
- Build a trusted team and let them shoulder some of the responsibility
- Find someone who will listen – an intelligent outside mentor, advisory board member or a peer outside of your industry
How we can help
- Supporting owners is what we do. We’re alongside you to provide perspective, resources and objective advice
- We can help you make sure you have a cohesive team that enables you to ‘share the burden’
- We can give you access to a community of peers – people who, like you, know what it’s like to be an owner.
For outcomes to change behaviour has to change and for behaviour to change belief has to change. Read more about how to improve and grow your business here.
Are you thinking what we’re thinking? Get in touch to start the conversation today.