Corporate social responsibility
Consultation with partners and employees has allowed us to develop a corporate social responsibility programme. Each of the partners has committed to bring this combined corporate social responsibility statement to the attention of all members of staff through local communication channels and via our national communication network.
In addition, it has been agreed that this policy will be reviewed and measured annually to ensure that our commitment to environmental responsibility, the community, and our ethical policy are as up-to-date and forward thinking as possible.
Our work in the community
Involvement in the local community is of paramount importance to the Haines Watts Group – we consider ourselves as community accountants being committed to businesses in the local area, hence our wide geographical presence around the UK.
At Haines Watts we believe that helping the local community is not just something we choose to do but is actually an important part of our business.We understand that local businesses and communities are closely linked and that we can have a significant impact on communities as a whole.
The Haines Watts Group plays an active role in contributing to these communities both through direct financial support and through the support of our partners and staff who take part in activities organised both by the firm and by themselves.
Our partners and staff are involved in regional Chambers of Commerce, local council initiatives and other business group activities. We also provide work placements for local students and support for educational establishments.
The firm supports a number of national and local charities with both time and money. The firm supports payroll giving and many of the partners provide time and advice free of charge to local groups and organisations.Our objective is to encourage our partners, management and staff to play a significant part in the development of local communities.
Our environmental policy
The partners and management are committed to achieving a real and sustainable positive impact on the broader community in which we live and work. We believe that it is essential that both as a firm and as individuals we should operate in an environmentally conscious manner.
Our objective is to minimise the impact of our business activity on the environment, wherever possible. This includes ensuring that our suppliers do likewise and that we persuade our clients to consider environmental matters wherever possible.
A review has concluded that the most significant area of impact we have on the environment is in the use of natural resources.
Our significant natural resource usage includes power, water, travel, and consumables such as paper and I.T. equipment.We recognise our impact on the environment comes from:
- Electricity to heat, cool and power office equipment.
- Gas for heating
- Travel by air, road and rail to visit clients and conduct internal meetings.
- Water in offices used for a variety of purposes.
- Resources such as paper.
- Waste including paper, plastic and consumable I.T. equipment.
- Evaluate future energy usage to see how we can use low energy systems.
- Avoid unnecessary travel on business by the use of video conferencing and telephone communication where possible.
- Use the most environmentally friendly mode of transport, where necessary, consistent with business needs.
- Reduce overall the resources we use.
- Aim for a paper-free office culture.
- Further reduce our letters and correspondence, where alternative electronic mechanisms can be used
- Further reduce our hard copy marketing.
- Use either recycled or FSC paper for all hard copy correspondence, wherever possible.
- Consider environmental criteria when choosing services and goods.
- Fundamentally we will reduce our impact on the environment and ask that our staff, suppliers and clients do likewise.
The Haines Watts board will review this document annually and consult both partners and employees in order to evaluate this strategy and update and improve our policies on an ongoing basis. As part of this process, we will monitor our progress against our objectives to ensure compliance by our offices and we will continue to set new objectives for the future.