Academy accountant services
Applying to become an Academy
Through expanded legislation in the Academies Act 2010, maintained primary, secondary and special schools can apply to become an Academy.
Whilst this gives you greater freedom, it also brings with it some areas that need to be considered.
- choosing service providers that suit you
- creating a company and registering at Companies House
- establishing a new bank account
- transferring, renewing and procuring new contracts
- setting pay and conditions for staff
How can Haines Watts help?
At Haines Watts we have experience in working closely with schools and charities. We understand that each school is different, which is why we offer a partner led service to suit individual requirements.
- We can assist in creating your structure
- We will prepare and/or audit the year end accounts in accordance with regulations.
- We can advise on VAT registration and the best options for your school
- We can provide all other financial support services
Already an Academy?
After the initial work of converting to an Academy has been completed, there are many areas we can continue to help to make the transition and ensure success – such as:-
- Expense control – secure significant savings and negotiate improved supply agreements
- Accounting systems and management reporting
- Presentation and explanation of budgets and results to Governors
- VAT advice – We can assist with the preparation and filing of VAT returns
We can act as your sounding board, providing advice on any areas of concern, no matter how small they may seem.
About Haines Watts
We have over 50 offices around the UK and regional schools and academy specialists. All our practices are owner managed – our partners all have valuable local knowledge and are aware of the challenges facing our clients today.
At Haines Watts we have
- A genuine enthusiasm to work with you and provide a comprehensive service
- A cost–effective approach
- An understanding of Academies and the areas you may require assistance with
- Expertise from working with other schools both locally and nationally
- Partners who have experience as school governors