Search our site

What are you looking for?

Please enter a search term!

Close top drawer
Haines Watts Launceston - Rural Business Phone icon 07974 707 317

Did you know that if you build a new home or convert an existing non-residential building into a home (i.e. a barn conversion), you could claim the VAT back on the costs incurred?

These costs include:

  • Builders’ labour costs (if a conversion, the VAT will be charged at 5% and if a new build, the VAT will be charged at 0%).
  • Building materials i.e. cement, blocks etc.
  • Permanent fencing around the building boundary
  • Air conditioning
  • Towel rails, toiler roll holders etc.
  • Burglar and fire alarms and smoke detectors
  • Curtain poles and rails
  • Decorating materials
  • Doors
  • Fireplaces
  • Heating systems and boilers/tanks i.e. radiators, underfloor heating, air systems, solar powered heating etc.
  • Kitchen sinks, surfaces and fitted cupboards
  • Light fittings (including chandeliers and outside lights)
  • Shower units and plumbing materials
  • Sanitary ware i.e. toilets, sinks etc.
  • Lifts and hoists
  • Solar panels
  • Turf, plants and trees
  • TV aerials and satellite dishes
  • Cooker hoods

You can’t however claim the VAT back on the following costs:

  • Architects or Surveyors fees
  • Fitted furniture, carpets and tiling
  • Agas/range cookers, unless designed to heat space or water (i.e. fitted to a heating module or boiler)
  • Appliances such as cookers, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, microwaves, washing machines etc.
  • Intelligent lighting systems or build-in speakers, CCTV, telephone system etc.
  • Consumables (i.e. sandpaper, white spirit etc.)
  • Curtains and blinds

To qualify for the scheme, the following conditions must be met:

  • The building must be for you or your family to live in or use as a holiday home
  • The building must not be for business use (i.e. a holiday let or residential property)
  • The building must not be part of another property, it must be its own separate property

If you are converting a residential building, VAT can be claimed back on the build if the building has not been lived in for at least 10 years.

It is extremely important that you keep all invoices relating to your build as this will form the evidence HMRC require to refund any VAT to yourselves.

If you are going to apply to claim back the VAT on your DIY Housebuild, you will need to apply to HMRC within 3 months after completion of the building work.

For further information, please get in touch or call Amy Houlford on 01271 375111.

Find and contact your local Haines Watts office

Be the first to comment

Please enter your comment!

Please enter your name!

Please enter your email!

Back to top of page